Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Jesse vs. Public Transit (Round 1)

And the winner is...ME!

Today I used two forms of public transit (bus and metro) with only minor hiccups.

Step #1: Take GUTS bus to Rosslyn Station.
**Big shout out to Abby for helping me actually get to the bus stop!** Waited while the bus driver appeared to inspect the tire, not a very reassuring sight for a r
ookie like me.

Step #2: Get to Rosslyn Metro Station from bus stop.
I kinda forgot that this step existed. Silly me. I now know that walking is ALWAYS involved in any set of directions. Luckily, I made friends with fellow TFASers who were headed to Rosslyn as well. Ok, maybe friends isn't the right way to describe it. More appropriately it was sort of a "follow behind inconspicuously" relationship. Regardless, I made it to Rosslyn.

Step #3: Buy a SmarTrip Card.
After mission: "follow behind inconspicuously," failed to provide me with the same success, I shamelessly asked the men inside the kiosk for help.

When I returned with my SmarTrip Card, I was terrified by what happened next: I swiped my card against the sensor and BAM, nothing. No green light. No opening doors.

I had been jipped!

No.

I had been confused. Turns out that I was swiping my card against an outgoing turnstile instead of an ingoing one. Whoops! Don't worry; I had to make the mistake once again later in my trip to even realize what I had done this time.

Step #3.5: Face down the huge and very steep escalator at Rosslyn. {FYI: At 437 feet (133 m) the escalator to street level at the Rosslyn Metro station is the third longest continuous span escalator in the world. (Wikipedia)}

Step #4: Blue or orange line to Farragut W. Stop.

Step #5: Exit on the 18th street side.

Step #6: Head down on 18th street.
And the shameless request for directions continue: "Excuse me sir. Which way is M street?"

...And continue (on the way back this time). I must have looked pretty desperate because this time I even get a "good luck!"

In the end, all of the run-around was completely worth it because I did finally get to the office and meet my soon to be supervisor and co-workers who were all tremendously friendly and welcoming. I can't wait to start on Monday. That's right, Monday! Which means that while all of my other roommates are off to work tomorrow morning, I have five days of free-time to explore the city. There is so much to see and do. I will be sure to keep you posted!


P.S.-Thank you to all the wonderful Washingtonians for their patience! I couldn't have done it without you!


No comments:

Post a Comment