Tonight we hosted an All-Institute guest lecture with Russ Roberts, Professor of Economics at George Mason University. In true TFAS spirit, he spoke on the advantages of small government. Having spent a year in the TFAS program already, I was familiar with the topic and took to his ideas rather quickly, but I am sure that not everyone took the same liking to the ideas which he presented. I appreciated the manner in which Roberts presented his viewpoints; namely, accessible, non-threatening and open for further discussion. I especially loved his quotation (which I have used to title this entry), one which he gave when he was asked by a student, how a single individual might make a positive impact.
This week also brings the mentor breakfasts (four total), our first IPVS site briefing and a hectic schedule change for the students (and staff).
Amidst the chaos, here is a list of recent accomplishments:
- Learned 86 students names and faces
- Mastered the mail merge
- Received my first big-girl paycheck
- Confirmed a service project all by myself
- Only hung up on one person while working the front desk (sorry!)
- Made a Ben & Jerry's pint last through three sittings