Thursday, July 1, 2010

July First?!

Can't believe it is July 1st today!

I had my last Voluntary Associations class on Tuesday and begin Ethics today. I didn't have to go in to work yesterday which was a huge relief considering I have a final due tomorrow which consists of 2, 3-4 page papers. :0

But, today, it was back to work as usual. I finished up the portfolio for the Spring Business Plan Competition and worked a little with Nate on preparing a binder for Julie to take with her to NY when she meets with headquarters next week. It was surprisingly difficult to transition between management styles.

Luckily, Alissa gave me a great ending to my day by inviting me out for Starbucks. She wanted to check in with me about my internship experience, but she also gave me great advice and support about my future. I've been really frustrated lately because I feel increasing pressure to choose {or at least narrow} my career path. Quite a few of my recent experiences have made me think that perhaps I would be happiest in a direct service type field-something like teaching or nursing {although I don't want to be a nurse}. For quite a while I shied away from this interest because I thought it was too basic. Everyone likes doing those things, right?

Wrong. The more I talk to people, the more I realize that: maybe I am unique in my interests. I'd be curious to know what you all think. What do you see me doing?

Anyway, Alissa gave me a great assignment for tomorrow: find 5 Washington College alumni who live in the DC area who work in 5 different job fields and contact them to set up some kind of mock interview. Not only will this expose me to different jobs which I may have never thought of, but it is also NETWORKING, something which is especially important if I ever want a job in DC. That's funny, TFAS held a networking event last night...maybe that's the theme of this week.

Well, off to class! Can't wait to tell you all about my 4th of July weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely could see you doing something non-profit like you mentioned when we talked during our visit! I don't think you need to decide quite yet, but you always are on top of things! That networking task sounds fun actually. Hope you had an amazing 4th!

    ReplyDelete